Saturday, October 18, 2008

Christy's Story

On May 24th, after a month of testing and uncertainty, our initial fears were confirmed. I was diagnosed with MS. It was then I began a journey that I could have never imagined.


A significant loss of my eyesight - literally overnight, a left hand that just would not do what my brain would tell it to do, and the left side of my face drooping, were greatly improved with an initial IV treatment of steroids administered from my home. Oh my gosh - Is this REAL? Is this going to be my life? Those were some of the thoughts and questions I was dealing with.


I began Avonex treatment which is a once weekly intramuscular injection that leaves me with minor flu-like symptoms, fatigue, and basically takes me away from my life for about 24 hours.


As the Arizona summer heat rose to the 110 degree mark, the effects on my MS were overwhelming. Fatigue simply took over my life. A walk from the car to the grocery store became practically impossible. The doctor provided me forms to receive a handicapped placard for my car, and when I noticed that it was marked “permanent”, another little piece of my reality sunk in.


That seems to be how this journey is. A little piece of reality followed by another. I deal with and learn more about MS each and every day of my life.


Like many people with MS will tell you...some days are just better than others. I didn’t really understand that until I began to live it.


Research into MS promises hope for a CURE!!! Please join me on my MISSION to raise money for a cure.


Your support in walking, donating, or keeping me in your prayers are all valued gifts to me.


Christy Baranowsky
Team Captain
CHRISTY’S Mission Squad

1 comment:

Craftymumz Creations said...

Christy...I've never met you in person, but your mom has shared quite a bit about you and your family with me over the years! You are in my prayers ... prayers for strength, courage, patience, healing, and continued passion for your MISSION!!!! God's plan is mighty and He is holding you in His care so please stay positive and driven in your MISSION... My prayers are constant for you, your husband, your family, AND YOUR MISSION!!!!!!!!!!